The mission of the Department of Business at Nashua Community College is to provide a variety of degrees and professional certificates that respond to the needs of local and regional employers, while maintaining academic integrity. Degrees, certificates, and courses are designed to provide students with the opportunity to learn skills, theories, and practices that prepare students to be successful in business endeavors. Additionally, degrees, certificates, and courses are designed to fulfill the academic requirements to allow students to transfer into a variety of bachelor degree programs.
The Associate in Science Degree in Business Administration curriculum in Small Business Entrepreneurship offers a mix of applied and theoretical courses. The objective of the program is to provide the knowledge students will need for successful careers as owners of a small business.
This option should be considered by students who desire to learn the methods and processes of starting a small business enterprise or by those individuals who seek to manage a small company or family-owned business.
Topics of study include:
- Developing the idea
- Describing the business to potential investors
- Preparing a comprehensive Business Plan
- Marketing the idea
- Critical cash flow analysis
For students looking to pursue an education beyond the associate degree, this program is designed to transfer to bachelor degree programs.
Upon the completion of the degree in Business Administration, Small Business Entrepreneurship graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the capability and initiative to identify entrepreneurial opportunities, as well as assessing and evaluating risks by developing a theoretical business plan.
- Demonstrate the ability to prepare, communicate, and present a business plan to a professional audience.
- Demonstrate the ability to conceptualize, plan, finance, manage, and grow a mock small business.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of research and analytical skills necessary by developing a comprehensive business plan for a successful new business venture.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop tactical, operational, and strategic plans.
- Demonstrate the ability to use and understand the basic financial statements according to the generally accepted accounting principles in order to manage the efficient and effective use of company resources.
- Demonstrate the ability to utilize promotional and public relations concepts, theories and models to develop marketing strategies.
- Demonstrate the ability to synthesize previous coursework while assessing management strengths and weaknesses of business entities.
In addition, the graduate will be able to demonstrate competency in the general education outcomes.