The Associate in Arts Degree in Psychology has been developed to provide the first two years of preparation for a student wishing to complete a bachelor degree with a major in Psychology.
Psychology is the wide-ranging scientific study and exploration of behavior and mental processes. Critical thinking skills such as interpretation, analysis, construction and assessment of material will be emphasized and developed.
Students should be aware that many careers in the field of professional psychology require a master’s degree or doctoral degree, depending upon the career path selected.
The courses in this program are designed for students who intend to complete the first two years of a bachelor’s degree program at Nashua Community College and then transfer to a four-year college or university to complete the bachelor’s degree with a major in psychology. Psychology courses are an excellent complement to any profession or course of training that involves human interaction.
Students are encouraged to work closely with their academic advisor while at NCC. An early decision by a student as to which four-year college/university he/she plans to transfer will make the advising process more effective.
Upon the completion of the degree in Psychology, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with the major concepts, theoretical perspectives, empirical findings and historical trends in psychology.
- Understand and apply basic research methods in psychology, including research design, data analysis and interpretation.
- Understand and apply psychological principles to personal, social and organizational issues.
- Understand and weigh evidence, tolerate ambiguity, act ethically and reflect other values that are the underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Develop insight into their own and other’s behavior and mental processes and apply effective strategies for self- management and self-improvement.
In addition, the graduate will be able to demonstrate competency in the general education outcomes.
A minimum of 60 credits must be earned in the required categories to complete the program of studies. A minimum of 15 credits must be earned at Nashua Community College, and 8 of those 15 credits must be earned in courses at the 200 level.